Robotic Surgery in India
Centre for Robotic Surgery – A best urology hospital in India, completed more than 700 robot-assisted surgeries till December 2015, in a span of just 5 years since its inception.
Centre for Robotic Surgery (CRS) is a special arm of the famous Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, created specifically for performing Robotic Surgery in India. Robot-assisted surgery is an innovative and breakthrough surgical technique being increasingly used in leading hospitals across the world due to its effectiveness, minimally invasive approach, and several other benefits over traditional laparoscopic and open surgeries.
At Centre for Robotic Surgery a super specialty initiative of Muljibhai Patel Urology Hospital, we use da Vinci Si® surgical system instruments for surgeries related to Nephro-Urology. We generally receive the comments that how will the surgery be made? Will there be a doctor available or only robots will perform the surgeries? Well, this article is written to clear those confusions. Let’s observe the picture given in fig (A).
* Figure A: Da Vinci Si® surgical instrument
In laparoscopic surgeries, several incisions are made and small camera and other instruments are inserted through them. This camera is connected with the visual output unit where robotic surgeons can see inside view of the patients’ body.
In robotic surgery, the surgical instruments are hooked up to the machine, and robotic surgeon sits at one console to operate them. Here high definition 3-D camera is inserted in patient’s body and the 3D display is shown on the screen. We call this entire setup as Robot. Here actual surgery is performed by doctors, but through mechanical arms. In the above image, you can see
- Surgeon’s Console – Surgeon sits here and operates robots. This console also has the video output from where robotic surgeon can view the inner part of patient’s body.
- Image Processing Equipment – It’s a video output to see the ongoing surgery to anesthesiologist, other doctors and nurse.
- Endowrist Instruments – They are the human wrist like instruments to provide superior motion control, precision and fluid ambidexterity.
- Surgical Arm Cart – They are robotic hands acts like human arms
- Hi-Resolution 3-D Endoscope – It has high definition 3-D camera at its end which is inserted in to patient’s body through separate incision.
Now it’s an obvious question that what are the advantages of doing so?
* Figure B: High Definition 3D Vision with Zooming
Above is the video snippet from Dr. Mahesh Desai who is current president of Endourology Society and Medical Director at Muljibhai Patel Urology Hospital, Nadiad.
Benefits of Robotic Surgery
Advantages of robotic surgeries are:
- High Definition 3-D Vision: You are able to see target organ with much more clarity. The Zoom option shows the picture bigger and 3-D vision shows the depth.
- Greater Precision: In laparoscopy, after long time the robotic surgeon usually gets tired. This effect in tremors in his / her hands. Robotic arms solve this issue. It enables 360 degree moment which is not possible by human hand.
- Quick Recovery: It requires very small incisions to operate through robots. Which is not the case with open surgery? This helps in fewer traumas, less pain and less loss of blood. Ultimately it results in to faster recovery.
Our Robotic Surgery Services
Centre for Robotic Surgery – A best best urology hospital in India specialises in robot-assisted surgeries related to prostate cancer, bladder cancer, pediatric cancer, and kidney cancer problems. Our robotic surgeons also experts in pediatric urological procedures using robotic surgery, and we have a special wing dedicated to our young patients.
Centre for Robotic Surgery is one of the few hospitals in India equipped with the state-of-the-art da vinci robotic surgical system, and the following robotic surgeries are performed at our centre: