Kidney Cancer and Robotic Kidney Cancer Surgery
What is Kidney Cancer?
Kidney cancer is the cancer which starts when cells in the kidney body begin to grow uncontrollably. Sometimes the cancer remains limited to the kidney, while in other cases it spreads to nearby tissues and organs.
Types of Kidney Cancer
Renal cell carcinoma (RCC), also called as renal cell adenocarcinoma, is the most common type of kidney cancer. About 90% of kidney cancers are renal cell carcinomas.
Other types of kidney cancers include renal sarcomas, transitional cell carcinomas, and Wilms tumours.
Non-Cancerous (Benign) Kidney Tumours
Not all tumours in the kidney are cancerous. Some are benign (non-cancerous), and do not spread (metastasize) to other parts. However, they should still be removed as they can grow and create problems later.
Most of the benign kidney tumours are removed or destroyed by using the same type of treatments as used for kidney cancers, like robotic kidney surgery, etc.
Kidney Cancer Statistics
- Kidney cancer is among the 10 most common cancers for both women and men.
- Kidney cancer is diagnosed in about 190,000 people worldwide every year.
- Overall, the lifetime risk for a person developing kidney cancer is 1.6%.
- Kidney cancer is slightly more common in men than in women.
- Kidney cancer is mostly observed in older people with an average age of 64 years. It is quite uncommon in people younger below 45 years of age.
- Kidney cancer can be curable if diagnosed early, in which case the survival rate of a patient can be from 79 to 100 percent.
Robotic Kidney Cancer Surgery at CRS
Centre for Robotic Surgery (CRS) is an initiative of Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital, which is one the best kidney hospital in India famously known as the ‘Nadiad Kidney Hospital’.
What is Nephrectomy?
A nephrectomy is the surgery done to remove of a part of or complete kidney. This procedure is done for:
- Kidney cancer treatment
- Treatment of kidney damage, kidney stones treatment, kidney cysts, etc.
- Kidney transplantation of healthy kidney from the donor to the patient.
Types of Nephrectomy Procedures
There are three types of approaches that can be used to conduct Nephrectomy: open surgery, traditional laparoscopic surgery, and the innovative robotic nephrectomy.
Robotic kidney surgery has been proven beneficial to not just the patients, but the robotic surgeons as well due to its various advantages. At Centre for Robotic Surgery – A best kidney transplant hospital in India, the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System is used by our kidney specialist doctor for kidney cancer treatment, kidney stones treatment and other kidney related surgeries.
Robotic Kidney Surgery Using the da Vinci Surgical System
The da Vinci Si® Robotic Surgery used at Centre for Robotic Surgery is a state-of-the-art technology which enables the robotic surgeons to perform complex surgeries with great ease and precision.
Key elements of a Robotic Kidney Surgery include:
- Better Visualization: This is due to the 3-D, high-definition camera of the da Vinci system which provides magnified visuals to the robotic surgeon.
- Better Precision: The robotic arms hold specially designed instruments which are used by the robotic surgeon to conduct the robotic kidney surgery. The surgeon controls the robot’s arms with special hand controls. This converts the surgeon’s movements into precise and complex movements, which he/she couldn’t achieve otherwise. The robot’s wrists have a 360 degree rotation, which increases the range of motion for the surgeon and improves accuracy.
- Ease of Surgery: The surgeon performs the procedure sitting at his console and controls the robot while looking into its vision system. Due to this, the surgeon’s fatigue is reduced and the robotic kidney cancer surgery is completed with ease.
Kidney Surgeries at CRS
The following procedures are performed at Centre for Robotic Surgery for treating kidney cancer surgery, kidney transplant surgery, kidney stones treatment and different types of kidney diseases and conditions:
- Robotic Partial Nephrectomy: In this, a part of the kidney having tumour is removed by robotic surgery, while preserving the remaining kidney.
- Robotic Radical Nephrectomy: In this, the entire kidney is removed to counter the effects of a large cancer/tumour/disease.
- Robotic Donor Nephrectomy/Kidney Transplantation: In this, a healthy kidney is transplanted from a living or deceased donor to the patient.
- Robotic Nephro-Ureterectomy: This involves removing the kidney as well as ureter for transitional cell carcinoma that affects the kidney or ureter.
- Robotic Pyeloplasty:In this, the blockage is removed in the area where the kidney meets the ureter.
- Robotic Pyelolithotomy: This is the procedure in which large kidney stones are removed when they can’t be removed by other methods.
- Robotic Anatropic Nephrolithotomy: This is a procedure used to remove large renal calculi.
- Robotic Nephro-Ureterectomy: In this, the renal pelvis, kidney and entire ureter are removed so as to increase survival likelihood for patients having transitional cell cancer.
In addition to the above, other procedures involving kidneys are also performed at the Centre for Robotic Surgery – A leading kidney hospital in India.
Benefits of Robotic Kidney Cancer Surgery
At Centre for Robotic Surgery – best kidney hospital in India, the state-of-the-art da Vinci Surgical System is used for surgical procedures for kidney cancer as well as other kidney issues.
Long-term studies like this one have shown that robotic surgeries such as Robotic Partial Nephrectomy have less blood loss, minimal effects on renal function, and an excellent safety profile when performed at high-volume centers.
Among the various benefits of robotic kidney cancer surgery are:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Lower blood loss
- Lesser scarring
- Lesser pain
- More precise tumour removal and kidney reconstruction
- Excellent chances of preserving the kidney in certain operations
- Lower rate of operative complications such as post-surgery infections
- Faster return to normal lifestyle
The above are obtained due to the various advanced technological features of the da vinci robotic surgical system , which provide better vision and precise movements to the robotic surgeons and help them achieve better results during a surgery.